Vitex is also known as chasteberry. It is often used to lower the level of testosterone in men and in women, it regulates hormone imbalances. It is very popular due to its effectiveness in the treatment of PMS, menstrual disorders, menopausal symptoms such as infertility, mood swings and hot flashes, breast tenderness as well as decreased production of milk in lactating women.
· Its anti-androgen activity has made it to be used as a natural component to lower testosterone in transgender and to repress the commencement of prostate cancer that is also related to high levels of testosterone. Its anti-androgen activity may assist to clear up acne, minimize the excessive hair growth in women too. Vitex is very safe to many people; nevertheless, some people might experience skin rashes, digestive problems or even dissertation once they take this herb.
Regulates PMS and More
· It regulates menstrual cycles. High levels of prolactin might cause a woman’s period to stop or even become irregular. Due to this, vitex can be used when menstruations is irregular or else amenorrhea. It is very advisable to consult a physician since it might cause lot of problems if you try to self-treat. As a result, it is believed to be a natural source of progesterone hormone.
· Vitex has been used as a natural herbal medicine to be able to balance the hormones of the body. For men it lowers the level of testosterone hormone to repress the commencement of prostate cancer.
· It also treats fibrocystic breast illness. This is a disorder associated with premenstrual syndrome, which vitex treats very well. In addition, it can treat mastalgia, breast tenderness or sore breasts. It may prevent the release of prolactin hormone from the pituitary gland. High prolactin hormone levels might stimulate the production of milk in lactating and pregnant women leading to breast tenderness. The release of this hormone causes fibrocystic breast disease. However, by using this product you can benefit by reducing the tenderness of your breasts.
Other health benefits
· It can be used to treat headache, depression and PMS symptoms. It can as well be used to minimize the perils of miscarriage by increasing the levels of progesterone naturally in the body. A pregnant person should avoid this product unless instructed otherwise by the physician.
Its side effects
· When taken as instructed there are no side effects however, overdose can cause dizziness, nausea, headache, rash, itchiness and upset stomach. Again, whenever you want to use this product, it is advisable to consult a doctor before taking it. It is good for you to know when to take it and when not to take it.
You can easily find vitex at any herbal of natural food stores in the form of standardized liquid extract, powdered extract, supplement, tinctures and capsules. Ensure its amount is standardized when you will be purchasing it as it is usually indicated on the package and again it is from a well renowned organization. You can as well buy high quality vitex products from certified naturopathic physicians.