Resveratrol is a member of the group of compounds known as polyphenols derived from plants. These compounds are considered to be protective for various types of damages to human body which can cause various fatal diseases like heart problems and cancer through their antioxidant properties. Resveratrol is found in berries and peanuts along with the skin of red grapes popularly used for making red wine. For this reason some people consider red wine as the main source of this compound that has a number of health benefits for humans.
After knowing the health benefits of Resveratrol many manufacturers have started producing Resveratrol supplements in capsule form. Some used the extract of certain plants found in China and Japan whereas some used red grape extracts or red wine for this purpose. Most manufacturers of Resveratrol supplements advertised their product as the best for providing long and healthier life as well as effective weight loss supplement. But due to lack of studies about the benefits of Resveratrol, FDA has not approved it as a healthy compound.
Benefits of Resveratrol
The popularity gained by Resveratrol as an effective disease combating and antiaging product on the basis of the early researches made in animals or test tubes as well as personal experiences of the people who consumed it to protect them from following diseases.
- Cancer: Resveratrol is supposed to reduce the spreading of cancer cells along with activating the process of their destruction.
- Heart disease: It helps in preventing the oxidation of bad cholesterol, making sticking together of the platelets to form clots difficult and reducing inflammation that can cause a heart attack.
- Diabetes: Resveratrol can also help in preventing the resistance of insulin resistance which can cause diabetes by making your body less sensitive to the effects of the hormone that lowers blood sugar i.e. insulin.
- Alzheimer’s disease: It can protect cells of the nerve from the build up of plaque and damage which can cause Alzheimer’s disease.
- Aging: Some of the studies have also concluded that Resveratrol can also help in improving the longevity of life by reducing the harmful effects of unhealthy lifestyle along with other health problems like obesity etc.
Side effects of Resveratrol
Due to the lack of any authentic evidence about the benefits and side effects of Resveratrol most doctors do not recommend it to their patients. But still some of the side effects of this product can be considered on the basis of personal experiences of the people who have consumed it for various reasons. These side effects may include:
- Resveratrol can interact with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications and blood thinners
- It can increase the risk for bleeding.
Dosage of Resveratrol
Any particular dosage of Resveratrol cannot be recommended as it is not regulated by FDA which makes it difficult to know the effectiveness of the product you are buying. Though the dosage of Resveratrol supplement can vary with every product but still nearly 2 grams of this Resveratrol per day is considered to be sufficient for humans to consume to age gracefully.