Guar gum is the term used for the fiber which can be derived from the seed of the plant called Guar. This plant is abundantly found in many countries in Asia Minor and in several places in the United States of America. Chemically, guar gum extract consists of the chemical compound galactomannan which is 80 % in concentration, 10 % of water and the other 10 % is protein. Needless to say, guar gum seed extracts also contains minute quantities of heavy metals and ash which can also provide benefit to human health if taken in adequate concentrations. However, depending on the source and after several processes, these chemical quantities may vary.
Guar gum extract has many health benefits. These include:
- LAXATIVE. Since the ancient times, guar gum extract has been commonly employed for the relief treatment and prevention of constipation. As a laxative, this herbal extract is taken at bed time and the next morning it can effectively induce bowel movement. Guar gum is very rich in fiber. As a result, it regulates the water content of the feces, thus softening it to prevent constipation and impacted stool.
- DIARRHEA TREATMENT. In contrast to its action as a laxative, guar gum extract is also used for the treatment of diarrhea. It effectively absorbs excess water in the stool during diarrhea. Thus, guar gum improves the consistency of stool from watery to semi – solid or formed particles.
- CHOLESTEROL – REDUCING ACTION. Because of its fiber – rich content, guar gum seed extract is helpful in reducing the levels of bad cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood. This is made possible because the fiber in guar gum extract significantly reduce the absorption of cholesterol in the digestive tract from the diet.
- GLUCOSE – REGULATING PROPERTY. Another health benefit of guar gum seed extract is that it can also control the amount of blood sugar. Just like cholesterol, guar gum fiber can potentially regulate the absorption of glucose in the stomach and intestines from the food we eat. Thus, guar gum seed extract is good for controlling blood sugar levels. However, health experts highly emphasize that this herbal supplement must not replace the medications for controlling blood sugar prescribed by your doctor.
- PREVENTION OF CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASES. As a result of its cholesterol- and glucose – lowering properties, guar gum seed extract can significantly reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases such as atherosclerosis and heart attacks. Studies reveal that guar gum can prevent the hardening of arteries because it inhibits the cholesterol plaque deposits into the walls of the blood vessels. Cholesterol deposits will eventually harden the blood vessel and reduce its flexibility to changes in movement and blood pressure. This will lead to a higher risk of blood vessel rupture which can be fatal because an injury or damage to the arterial walls may form significant amount of clots that can impede blood circulation. Another possible complication of cholesterol deposits is that it can reduce the size of the lumen of the blood vessels. This will also lead to obstruction of blood circulation which then lead to poor oxygenation and perfusion of certain tissues and cells.
Keep in mind that despite these health benefits, look to your local health food store for quality Guar gum capsules and powder.
- What Is The Herb Guar Gum Used For And how Does it Help Digestion? (vitanetonline.com)